As people, towns, cities and countries honor World Environment Day 2009, the United Nations Environment Programme offers 12 ways each of us can make a difference in the fight against climate change.
World Environment Day has been commemorated since 1972, which marked the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. This year, Mexico is the official host country, chosen because of its increasing participation in eco-conscious policies. Mexico is also a leading partner in the Programme's Billion Tree Campaign. Omaha, Neb., was chosen to be the host city for the North American celebrations of World Environment Day 2009 based on the city’s commitment to environmental and sustainability issues.
TWELVE STEPS TO UNITE TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE
- Make a commitment to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Knowing where and how you generate greenhouse gases is the first step to reducing them.
- Develop a strategic plan to reduce energy use and carbon emissions.
- De-carbon your life.
- Get energy efficient.
- Switch to low carbon energy.
- Invest in offsets and cleaner alternatives.
- Integrate the 3R approach — reduce, reuse and recycle — into your thinking.
- Offer—or buy—low carbon products and services.
- Buy green, sell green.
- Team up to identify and implement best practice solutions to reduce emissions.