Bring light into rooms that do not have windows or skylight access. The interior of the 'tube' magnifies the light so that the fixture in the ceiling looks like there is actually a bulb inside. Guests often look for a light switch to turn it off when they leave a bathroom, closet, or laundry area.
The ROI Calculation is based on 14" diameter. Flexible or rigid tubing allows the unit to go around virtually any attic obstructions unlike other lighting systems, which saves you money. The ROI Calculation is based on factoring in the savings offset of purchasing, installing, and powering savings two light fixtures, and their bulbs over ten years.
TAX CREDITS: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) provides you with a 30% Tax Credit for Sun Tubes that are put into service by the end of 2010. This tax credit item is only for existing homes, not new construction, that is your primary residence and it includes ONLY the cost of materials and NOT installation.
3 KEY POINTS -
- The tax credit cap is $1,500 on collective home improvement elements other than Geo-Thermal 'Ground Source' Heat Pumps, Solar Hot Water Heating, Solar Photovoltaic, and Fuel Cell systems - which each have no cap and are eligible through 2016.
- The tax credits for exterior 'weatherization' improvements like windows, doors and insulation do not include the cost of installation!
- If you reach the $1,500 cap in 2009, you are not eligible for additional tax credits in 2010.
Choose Sun Tubes that meet these criteria to get the Tax Credit; and check products carefully, because in many cases an ENERGY STAR certification does not necessarily meet the tax credit requirements below:
• They must have a U-factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) less than or equal to 0.30. You can find the U-factor and SHGC on the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) label.
• Only some Energy Star equipment will qualify.
The small roof ‘dome’ lets the light into a ‘tunnel’ that bounces it down to the ceiling fixture.
For installation, the hole in the attic can easily fit between existing roof rafters.
Learn about VELUX Sun Tunnel: Click Here